As the technology editor at VICE News, I reported on the nexus of Silicon Valley, politics, and power. I helped out with the technology coverage of VICE News Tonight on HBO, on which I occasionally appeared. I worked at VICE News from August 2016 through February 2018.
At VICE, I focused on Facebook, Russian government efforts to influence the 2016 election, and Silicon Valley's political agenda in the Trump era. I wrote major stories with exclusive details on the Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative's political spending, rampant election law violations on Facebook, Democratic legislation to regulate Silicon Valley, and the crisis at the New America Foundation after the firing of a prominent Google critic.
Here is my VICE News author page, and here are some more highlights:
- Helped make this VICE News Tonight piece about how's Facebook's instinct to move fast and break things has put it in the hot seat in Washington.
- Hosted and wrote a segment on VICE News Tonight about a proposal from Twitter shareholders to turn the company into a user-run cooperative. Here's the accompanying article I wrote about it.
- Broke the news of Google employees confronting senior executives at an all-hands meeting about the company's perceived lack of action around Trump's harsh immigration and refugee bans.
- Explained how Tesla's stock is wildly overpriced, and that there are investors paying millions of dollars in fees on bets that the electric carmaker will fail.
- Hosted and co-wrote a video on how Uber drivers on Pittsburgh feel about sharing the streets with the ride-hailing startup's new self-driving cars — which Uber's leadership has said will eventually replace its drivers. Here's my piece about the experience of actually getting behind the wheel of a self-driving car.
- Outlined the antitrust implications for Amazon's purchase of Whole Foods.
- Published a video of a teenaged Stephen Miller — the senior White House adviser — arguing that the U.S. military should torture its enemies (as torture is a "celebration of life") while fighting Saddam Hussein in the Iraq War.
- Reflected on the life, career, and legacy of Roger Ailes.
- Revealed that when Scott Pruitt effectively fired top EPA science advisers, he did so against the recommendations of his own staff.